Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Who's the Boss?

The past month has been a very busy one, with various before/after school activities for each of the kids, and lots of extra hours for me at work.  As a result, the house is in a state of limbo, and I've been ignoring the crunch of...whatever that is on the floor for the past few days.  Finally, after I got my youngest started on her homework this afternoon, I was able to grab a broom and do a quick sweep of the kitchen and laundry room.


Realistic depiction.

As I swept, I felt someone trying to push past me into the laundry room.  My youngest was trying to get a folder out of her backpack.  I explained that I was sweeping, and that she needed to wait until I was finished before she walked into the room.  She left, I crossed the room to get the other side swept.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a sneaky little arm and foot hovering at the door.  Youngest was attempting a covert maneuver!  After a sharp rebuke and ANOTHER reminder that she was supposed to wait, she stomped off in a huff and I grumbled as I swept the dirt into a pile.


"Why doesn't she just listen?  I told her I was doing something.  She's so impatient.  It's like she thinks she knows better than I do!"


That's when I got a smack in the head from the Big Guy.  


My control-freak tendencies have been known to get me into trouble from time to time. The thing is, I can map out a completely logical scenario in my head without stopping to pray or listen to what God has to say.  I figure He's given me the ability to analyze and make sense of a situation, so why shouldn't I use that ability?  So I go charging ahead, mentally checking things off as I go.  Problem?  People, situations, and reactions don't necessarily follow logic.



Riiiiiight.


So here I was, grumbling about my kid who obviously thinks she's smart enough to find a way around having to listen to me and wait, while I've been exhibiting the same kind of behavior with the One who is the boss of me.  Ouch.  Not a pleasant realization, but one that was much-needed.


So the floor's clean, and so is my perspective.  Knowing the little apple didn't fall far from the tree gives me a good place to start with Youngest!


No comments:

 
blogger template by arcane palette