Thursday, March 11, 2010

Rain, Rain Go Away

I know, I know. Who in their right mind would live in Del Norte County if they hate rain as much as I do? You'd think a long childhood in Humboldt would have inocculated me against crummy weather, yet here I sit, watching the dreary gray clouds wring themselves out over and over, wishing I were somewhere warm and dry.

Rather than complain, I've been trying to come up with a list of things to do in Del Norte on a rainy day (which pretty much encompasses the time between October and May. It's just one long rainy day. It's not complaining if you're stating facts, right?). So far I've managed to come up with:


1. Cartoons - God bless Charter Communications for the zillion and one kid-friendly episodes of something-or-other that are on at any given time of the day. My family in particular would not have survived the winter without regular doses of Phineas and Ferb and just about anything on Boomerang.

2. Rec League Basketball - Big gym + lots of running = exhausted kids AND content parents. Win-win.

3. School assemblies - My kids' school has weekly assemblies that are open to parents, and I've found it's not only a good way to distract yourself from the depressing meteorographic events outside, but also a really neat way to find out what's going on within the student body and to promote a sense of community in general. Plus, I get to see how my kids behave when they don't think I'm around, which ends up being surprisingly well.


Admittedly, I don't get out much, so the list is pretty short. But I'll do my best to keep adding to it while I'm waiting for June to roll around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boooooooooooooooo on the rain! Bring on the cartoons!

 
blogger template by arcane palette